On 31 July 1927, the First Church of Christ Scientist, Sydney opened its new premises at Liverpool and Forbes Street. Christian Science was a relatively new faith, founded by Mary Baker Eddy in the United States in 1879. It had gained many adherents in Sydney since the first Christian Science services commenced there in 1900 with just five attendees. The Liverpool Street church had been designed to seat 1,200 parishioners, but around 2,500 persons squeezed into every corner of the building to attend the first service in 1927. Appropriately for such a community gathering, the sermon lesson was on ‘love’.